We’re looking for an Engineering manager to join our team in Leicester
As an Engineering Manager you will ensure a smooth running of the workshop.
You will be responsible for maximising productivity and minimising lost mileage, whilst focusing on standards and health & safety practices.
You’ll coach, develop and inspire everyone in your team to perform at their best every day. You’ll guide by example. You’ll always put safety first and you’ll help to make FirstBus a great place to work.
The salary for this position is £42,000 per annum
- Responsibility for supporting Engineering workshop supervisors and assisting them in managing labour and material costs in line with the engineering budget. This will be facilitated through running the Daily Spend and Repair Cost analysis reports from SAP.
- Work with the local purchasing manager to target and reduce stock holding levels.
- Responsibility for advising/supporting workshop foreman and supervisors in their overall responsibility for the organization and manage of any sub-contracted engineering work and all contractors or third parties who may be working on site.
- Support workshop foreman/supervisors to maintain full establishment levels for both skilled and semi-skilled staff.
- To have period team briefings with all supervisory staff to discuss workshop performance against predefined targets.
- Manage foreman and supervisors to maximize staff productivity through effective two-way communications, empowering supervisors to deliver targets, encouraging self development and setting clear and measurable performance targets.
- To carry out skills assessments of all Engineering Workshop Foreman/supervisors and subsequently develop and deliver training and development plans for each member of staff.
- Monitor and support apprentices to ensure that the training and development program is adhered to.
Skills & experience
We’re looking for an exceptional people manager with a suitable engineering qualification and at least three years’ workshop experience in a transport environment.You’ll be fully conversant with the DVSA testing of PCV and relevant health & safety regulations, as well as self-motivated, pro-active and attentive to detail. You’ll have:
- Level 3 NVQ qualification or equivalent (i.e. City & Guilds level 1 & 2).
- Knowledge of the all relevant legislations concerning HS&E, maintenance of vehicles, Road Safety etc.
- Good working knowledge of SAP and BW.
- To undergo formal development, assessment, attainment and retention of a recognised engineering and management qualification, to VQ level 3, in all aspects of the position.
- Must be in the possession of, or capable of obtaining a full PCV licence and forklift truck licence if required.
You’ll know how to coach and develop to get the best out of your team every day!
What can we offer you?
- up to 5 weeks holiday (plus Public Holidays)
- company pension
- free bus travel for you and your family
- £6 all-day train travel on GWR, SWR and other First train companies
- High Street discounts
What do we do?
First Bus is one of the UK’s largest bus operators. Making journeys easier for our customers, we were the first national bus operator to accept contactless card payments across all of our services and our First Bus App is voted ‘best in class’ amongst UK bus operators.
Engineering is an integral part of our business focusing on efficiency, excellence, safety and reliability. We’re constantly looking for ways to improve our processes, techniques and ways of engineering our very diverse fleet.
Our most recent investments are in new, state-of-the-art buses across our key networks. We work proactively with our local authority partners, making a positive impact on air quality, tackling congestion and improving customer experience. We are focused on First Bus becoming a leader in the transition to a low-carbon future and are committed to operating a zero-emission bus fleet by 2035; we have pledged not to purchase any new diesel buses after December 2022. We also operate the Aircoach network in Ireland. First Bus is a division of FirstGroup.
Working for First UK Bus you’ll find your role varied, rewarding and satisfying.
Interested? Apply Today!